Flushing the engine is not difficult, but many people have misunderstandings – why should it be carried out, if we carry out parallel and oil change? After all, by simple human logic, lowering the oil, we descend from the engine and all the excess particles, dirt and debris. But, in fact, it is not so. Of course, there are cases when the need for such does not arise, but sometimes washing the engine is a mandatory measure for engine maintenance. In order to simply not pour water, and to understand this issue in detail, we have devoted a whole article to him. Below we consider all the necessary factors that indicate the need to wash the engine, we will deal with the question of what exactly to wash it and how to do it. That is, we systematize all available on the Internet knowledge about such a controversial issue.
Why is the washing of the engine and when it is necessary to carry out?
The fact that washing an ordinary car engine is needed is an indisputable fact, which is confirmed by all automakers and car owners with great experience. After all, if you carry out the replacement of engine oil only once a year (which is most often done by our drivers, even regardless of what mileage their car is wound for this period), the debris and dust particles that have got into the engine will not only have time to completely seal all the filters. Over time, they “take root” in it and settle on the walls in the form of plaque. Therefore, even when we most usual way is drained from the engine oil, this “ancient” plaque is still inside the motor. And the older the car-the thicker the plaque is formed, and the harder it is to remove, and there is faster Your engine comes into complete disrepair.
So, starting the oil change, it is necessary to prepare for the full washing of the engine. But to convince You of this finally, consider the case when the engine needs such a “manipulation” and other options from the car owner simply does not:
- In that case, if you suddenly ceased to satisfy the old motor mixture and you have decided to replace it with a mixture of another brand. This also applies to the transition from one type of oil to another (from synthetic to semi-synthetic or mineral), the choice of another version of the oil relative to its viscosity (5w40, 10w 40, 15w40), or the change of the motor fluid manufacturer. Each driver should be aware that the composition of each type, type and brand of oil includes a completely different and unique in its set of additives. For this reason, it is impossible to mix the remains of the old oil with the new one in any case, so the old one must be completely removed.
- When you buy a new car is not. It does not matter whether you take it with you or buy from a reseller. Nowadays, people are looking for any opportunity to warm their hands, so sellers do not always share true information about their product. Of course, if you 100% trust the seller and he told you what oil used before – the need for washing will not. But otherwise it is better not to be lazy and not to be greedy, and to give the car engine a new life.
- Mandatory washing when changing the oil is carried out and in the case where the car is operated too intensively and for a fairly long period of time. After all, with such a drive, the engine needs intensive lubrication. Thus, and by-products in the motor will accumulate much more.
- Turbocharged engines must also be flushed in parallel with each oil change. This type of car engine requires much more oil than usual for its full functioning. Also, the oil used must be crystal clear and of excellent quality. Otherwise, the engine will not just wear out faster, because of the dirt, it can simply fail.
- When performing the dismantling of the motor and its complete disassembly. When the mechanics made such work, they do not just wash the engine, and very carefully washed out all its parts, cleaning them with kerosene, gasoline or diesel fuel. Of course, this method allows you to get 100% purity, but it is very complex and time-consuming. Without having special knowledge in mechanics it is better not to undertake it. In this case, you will be able to professionally help only one HUNDRED.
Are there situations where there is no need to flush the engine? But still, the need for such a procedure does not arise so often. For example, washing the engine when replacing the oil will be completely out of place if you pour the oil in a brand new car, purchased in the cabin. Also, if you trust the care of your “iron horse” car mechanics from a proven service station, they certainly will not allow clogging of the engine and its parts. In General, if the oil change with the correct regularity, as such need for rinsing and never will. After all, the most modern manufacturers of motor fluids introduce into their composition a set of special additives that can not only improve the operation of the engine, but also to clean it. Thus, all dirt and excess particles will be removed without residue with the oil.
Often flushing the engine inflicts pretty heavy damage. The fact is that when the oil comes down from the motor to replace it with a new one, a certain amount of liquid still remains in the pallet of the motor. When the motor is filled with liquid for washing, it is mixed with these residues. As a result, the washing mixture loses its characteristics and does not always bring you the desired result. Also, the use of special flushes often leads to the fact that the loosened debris is not washed from the engine, but simply settles in its crankcase. As a result, significantly reducing the capacity of the pump and deteriorates the performance of the engine.
It turns out that the best option is to carry out regular oil changes and refuse to wash the engine. In fact, it is quite easier to do and more economical than to bring the engine to heavy pollution and suffer with how to properly wash and clean. But if such cases still occur, we will tell you about the washing in more detail.
What tools are best used for washing the engine: get acquainted with the advice of professional car mechanics
The question, than it is better to wash out the engine, emerges in the head of all owners of vehicles. Answers to it can be very much, but do not want to lead you astray, so try to give the most complete and detailed answer to this question. Options funds that can be used to wash the car engine, can be called four. Naturally, each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, which also draw Your attention:
- Engine oil as a means of washing the engine. It is the safest for its mechanism, but it is considered the least effective. We are talking about the fact that when the old oil is drained, the minimum level of new oil is poured into the motor, which can ensure the operation of the car. Then the engine is driven for a few minutes at idle and again jammed. This oil is again drained, and after he had performed a complete replacement of motor fluid. Thanks to this washing only reduces the concentration of dirt in the motor, but it is impossible to remove it completely. Also, remain intact and mud deposits on the walls, which can not even dissolve a little.
- Use for vacuum pump cleaning. Although many continue to use it, a large number of car mechanics claim that it does not bring any benefit. Typically, a vacuum pump is used at a service STATION when an urgent replacement of engine oil is carried out. In principle, it can really deflate the rest of the engine oil liquid. However, after its application, there are still impurities in the hidden cavities, as well as the plaque compacted on the walls.
- Five minutes. Considered quite effective means of cleaning the engine. This cleaning liquid is poured into the old oil for about 5-10 minutes (from which came the name). For this period of time also start the engine idling. After that, the “five-minute” is drained together with the motor fluid. But the question is, do they wash away the dirt? In fact, they are almost useless, and even pose a danger to the engine. Dirt they wash off weakly, and large particles in such a short period of time just do not have time to dissolve. As a result, after such washing you have almost completely sealed oil channels, constantly starving from lack of oil motor, which can at any time fail. It remains one option-to choose the most concentrated “five minutes”, which really manage to show a very good result. However, the effect of this kind of funds is so strong that they corrode even rubber seals. Why are you leaking in the engine? So, from this option is also worth giving up.
- After reading a lot of reviews and comments on the auto forums, we came to the following conclusion. The most effective means of washing for the engine are “long-lasting washing.” Such a liquid is poured into the oil a few days before its replacement. It is desirable that for this period of time You could wind on the car of kilometers 50-500. After that, you can safely drain the old oil along with all the dirt and plaque, which for such a period of time completely dissolved to microscopic particles. Thus, the cleaning turns out really good, and the mechanisms of the engine are not affected.
But whatever washing you choose, be sure to pay attention to the fact that it is compatible with the oil you use. Such information can be easily obtained in specialized points of sale or search for it in Internet resources. Most of them can boast of 100% compatibility with all types of oils, but some washings can significantly worsen their characteristics.
Basic rules and recommendations for engine flushing when replacing engine oil
And so, finally we will answer you the most important question: how to do the washing? Proper and complete washing of the engine includes several stages. If you want Your car to always be on the go and do not regret to spend time and money on it – then follow them all. If the time and money resources you have are limited – you can refuse several items for pre-training.
- Before washing the engine, it is important to consult a specialist. After all, even though we provide a lot of information on this issue in our article, it is generalized. If you turn to a professional car mechanic, he will be able to give you advice about your specific car model and engine model;
- carry out diagnostics of the condition of all mechanisms of the car, and in particular the engine. After all, if you are very attentive to it and carried out regular oil changes, the need for washing And you will not. Do not forget that the washing under the slogan” just in case “can not” improve the health ” of the engine, but on the contrary, bring him significant damage;
- it is logical to keep the engine clean only if it was clean before. However, if you have already purchased the engine with precipitation on the walls, Then your actions are unlikely to help him;
- before making the very wash, make sure to drain all the old oil coating mixture. On how to do this, you can also read on our blog;
- fill in the engine detergent (but it is better not to use highly concentrated) and run it at idle. Waiting for 10-15 minutes;
- again, drain the engine all the liquid, trying not to leave a drop in it;
- fill in the engine oil, but not the one on which you are going to go in the future, and the most common, low-quality and inexpensive. Start the engine at idle and allow it to work from half an hour to an hour;
- after this procedure, again drain the liquid and already pour into the engine quality oil, it is recommended for Your model.
Compliance with these simple rules will provide you with a reliable ride all the permissible period of operation of the engine. The correct attitude to the engine can increase the period of its operation. It is especially important to remember this when starting the operation and maintenance of new cars purchased directly from the cabin.
What you need to know about washing diesel engines?
It seems that everything was sorted out, but the question of how to deal with those engines that run on diesel remained unclear. After all, this type of engine is different not only in design, but also has its own characteristics of the oil change process and its washing. In particular, it is allowed to use only special means for its washing. All those “five-minute”, “long-lasting” washing and all other liquids that are designed for gasoline engines, can not be used in this case.
This feature lies in the structural nuances of diesel engines. For full-fledged work they lack oil which can give the oil pump (as it occurs in the gasoline engine). In this case, it is necessary to create a so-called” oil wedge”, when the rubbing parts pass into a” floating ” state. When using conventional oil for washing, washing additives and the same” five-minute ” You can cause very hard friction parts. Under their influence, the engine oil is highly liquefied and loses its basic properties. Yes, and deposits on the walls of the engine can have a different composition, so you can not guess what it is possible to dissolve each of them.
So, if you are going to clean the diesel engine, go to a specialized store and demand That you are given a means for your type of engine. The rest of the entire cleaning process is no different from that which we have described above. Therefore, feel free to get to work and regardless of the type and model of the engine, always try to keep it in perfect condition.